Saturday, August 6, 2011

Is college worth the money?

Is college worth the money? I recently sent in my deposit to go to Cornell next year. My parents didn't qualify for financial aid (even though we are not "rolling in it" in any way) so we will be eating the whopping $57,000 a year. They have saved up close to $80,000 and I will be living off campus all four years to save money. Anyway, right now I am enrolled in the engineering school but I am thinking of applying for an internal transfer after my first semester there. I want to transfer to the college of arts and sciences (it is pretty easy to get an internal transfer as long as you have a C or higher in all your classes). My first plan was to major in either mechanical or chemical engineering with a premed track and then go to med school (the engineering was a back up plan and I'm pretty sure I would enjoy studying engineering). Anyway, Cornell engineering is really tough (lots of grad deflation) and I realized that I probably would not be able to get a good enough GPA to go to medical school if I study engineering. Anyway, so I am planning on a major in math with a concentration in physics and computer science. It is still a tough major but from looking at all the median grades (Cornell posts these on the website) it is feasible to achieve a good enough GPA for med school, and this still leaves the door open to go to grad school for engineering if med school doesn't work out. Okay that was long, but is going to college worth the money? I understand why it may not be worth it if you are majoring in say... sociology or creative writing or something like that, but is it worth it for what I am doing? I am nervous about the $228,000 cost. I am doing everything I can to keep the cost down (scholarships, work, ect) but I keep hearing how college is just not worth the money these days. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment